December 14, 2012 6:00 am
"In a season when many of us are focused on gift buying, many Americans are also just as interested in giving back," said Jim Gibbons, president and CEO of Goodwill Industries International. "Even if funds are tight, people can give back by donating gently used items—everything from unwanted holiday sweaters to computers and laptops—even gift cards."
Here are 10 items you should consider donating:
10. Computers: At the end of their useful life, computers can be donated at your local Goodwill store and recycled via Goodwill's Dell Reconnect partnership. Donor should be sure to delete personal data before donating.
9. Kitchenware: Get something new for the kitchen for the holidays? Gently used kitchenware can be donated.
8. Video Games: Donate 10 video games and help fund job training sessions. Ten games can provide 47 minutes of on-the-job training for someone in need of getting back on track educationally.
7. Books: Upgrade from paperbacks to a Kindle or iPad this year? Donate 15 books and provide 26 minutes of career counseling
6. CDs: You've got all your songs saved on hard drives and MP3 players. Do you really need those hundreds of old CDs taking up space in the back of your closet?
5. Cell phones: Unused cell phones are one of the fastest growing kinds of trash in America. Instead of discarding your old phone out, recycle or donate it. Donors should be sure to delete personal data before donating.
4. Household items: It's time to give that lamp a new life. Lamps, frames, vases, curios, baskets, and collectibles are just a few of the many items that you can donate.
3. Bikes: When your children have outgrown theirs, or you've moved on to a new bike, consider donating.
2. Gift Cards: Billions of dollars in holiday gift cards go unused every year. You can donate an unwanted gift card with any unused amount on it.
1. Clothes: Suits, pants, dresses, shirts…you name it. Donating clothes not only funds job training programs, but also provides new outfits for job-seekers.
Donating used goods of all kinds provides valuable services to millions of Americans every year. Consider donating 10 items this year and you can make a world of difference.
Source: Goodwill Industries International
Published with permission from RISMedia.